The Romans built a network of roads radiating from Chester, but Tattenhall cannot claim to be of Roman origin. However, an excellently preserved Roman coin was discovered on the site being excavated for the foundations of the Park Primary School in 1970.
When the Romans left Britain there remained a primitive Celtic society that focused upon the remaining infrastructure. It is likely that during this period, the origins of settlement in Tattenhall were laid and although the area was sparsely populated, it appears that the village was taxed far more highly than other villages in the surrounding area by Danish invaders who had originally landed along the Wirral coast before moving inland during the late 10th Century.
By the time of the Domesday Survey (1086) the settlement of Tatenale was recorded. Some historians believe the name is of Celtic origin being derived from the old English personal name ‘Tata’ and ‘halh’ meaning ‘a meadow’. For the next six hundred years, the name of the settlement changed, having been variously called Tatenhala (1280), Tattenhall (1289), Tatnall(1473), Tottenhall (1553) and Tettenhall (1649).
Elsewhere in the parish,the name of the township of Golborne Bellow was derived from the Belewe family with the surname of Thomas de Bellow or de Bella Aqua. The second township’s name, Newton, is derived from old English ‘niwe’ and ‘tun’. All these place names pre-date the Norman Conquest.